How to Install Windows 10 on USB drive Using Boot Camp
First You need to get the following Listed tools to Install Windows 10 on USB Drive :
- On your Macbook open Boot Camp Assistant and uncheck Create a Windows 7 or later version install disk . Make sure Download the latest Windows support software from Apple. You will need a 4GB or higher usb drive to download it too.
- First you will need to download a Windows 10 ISO. Follow the steps to get your specific ISO you need, You can do this by going here.
- When that finishes downloading open the ISO and go to the sources. Find the install.wim ( If you do not find a install.wim and only find an install.esd follow this to convert the install.esd to an install.wim ) and copy and paste it to your desktop. You can delete the ISO. It is no longer needed
Switch to Windows. This can be a virtual machine or a physical Windows instillation. (I recommend a physical instillation. I had problems with my virtual machine when partitioning.)
4. Move your wim onto your Windows Desktop and put it on the Desktop for now. We will move it later.
5. Next you need a tool called imagex.exe. It is a command line tool. To get this you can just click here to download.
6. Move the wim and imagex.exe onto your C Drive. If you don’t know what that means. Open up File Explorer (that little folder icon you use to get to yourdocuments) and type C:/ into the address bar at the top. The reason we do this is to make it easier to navigate to them while we are in command prompt. You may need to provide administer permission to move them to the C Drive. If this happens press Continue for both. Also Read: Comparing the Advantages and Problems of Windows 10
8. Open Command Prompt as Administrator. To do this open the start menu and find command prompt and right click on it and click run as administrator.
9. cd C:\ (make sure you do a backslash and not a forward slash backslash is above the enter/return key)
11. list disk This will show you a list of the devices connected to your computer. Findyour external hard drive. The easiest way is to find the size of it. Now note the Number next to Disk.
13. clean (this will clean all the partitions of the external hard drive and erase everything)14. create partition primary
This is the moment of truth. You will now deploy the install.wim to the external hard drive.Before you use imagex make sure you are focused on the C:\ directory. Otherwise it will not be able to find the install.wim file.
21. imagex.exe /apply C:\install.wim 1 g: (replace the 1 with the index number youfound in the last step.) Be patient this will take a while.
22. bcdboot g:\windows /s g:
Once that finishes you are done on the Windows computer and can close the command prompt and eject and unplug the external hard drive from your Windows machine.
24. Plug the external hard drive into your Mac.
25. Power it on and hold the option
27. Follow the install instructions to install Windows. (It may reboot a couple times during instillation. Make sure to press option at every boot and choose the efi boot to continue the installation.) Also Read: How to Install JDK 9 on Windows 10 64-bit Operating System
Once Windows is done installing and boots for the first time plug in your usb drive that has the Boot Camp drivers and open the usb and press the setup.exe and follow the install instructions.
Remove the Boot Camp usb and you will now have a full Windows installation on your usb hard drive. This completes the process to Install Windows 10 on USB drive Using Boot Camp.
Happy Boot Camping! Also Read: How to Install MAC OS 10.12 Sierra on Windows PC using VMware Workstation